[plug] Ethernet Addresses

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu May 4 11:37:15 WST 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Christian wrote:

> Does anyone know how to find out the ethernet (MAC) address of a given
> interface?  After searching the manual I can't find any system calls
> that seem to be related to doing this.  The context is I need to write a
> program to determine the MAC address in order to assign the correct IP
> address from a local lookup table on boot-up.

Assuming you are talking about interfaces on the local machine.

modprode <driver>          # to load HardWaree support and assign an eth??
                           # interface.
ifconfig -a |grep HWaddr   # to show all "HWaddr"'s for all network
                           # interfaces.

If you are on a _server_ and you need to assign an IP to a mac address what is
wrong with rarp or dhcp ??

Or have I missed the point again ?

Yours Tony.

/*