[plug] filtering virus infected files

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon May 8 14:32:55 WST 2000

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Mike Hasleby wrote:

> > There is a variant of the "love bug" that is uuencoded instead, so you'd
> > need to scan for those too.
>
> sorry Matt - was that unencoded?

No, that's "uuencoded" - as in it's part of the main text, rather than an
attachment, in a block that generally looks something like:
begin 644 loveletter.txt.vbs
M4DE&1B$M``!7059%9FUT(!`````!``$`0!\``$`?```!``@`9&%T8?TL``"#
M at X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X.#
 [ ... ]
MA(2$A(2$A(2#@X.#@X.$@X2$A(2$A(2$A(2$A(2%A86%A86%A(2$A(2#@X.#
I at X.#@X.$A(2$A(2%A(2$A(2$@X.#@X.#@X*"@H*#@X.#@X.#@X.#@X,`
`
end

Most modern mailreaders know how to handle uuencoded text.

> > Easier just to convince everyone to use pine :)

> I would if everyone was on linux but I'm the only two of us are - all the
> rest use windoze

Nah just kill your pop server, and they'll be forced to use a command line
mail reader.. >:->

 - Matt (bofh at wasp.net.au)