[plug] Am I Being Hacked?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue May 9 13:14:42 WST 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Christian wrote:

> > May  8 17:49:59 usswa login[14597]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR
> > z.a^Z?toE~o^Pm%?^A^Ga^GLC, User not known to the underlying authentication

> added risk.)  The fact that login is reporting that the login attempt is
> from "(null)" is really odd -- if it were a network access attempt then
> I would expect to see the address of the host there while a console
> login would obviously give the terminal line.

On my redhat box, a console login give the '(null)' .
Could it be line noise from a loose serial cable, or an elbow brushing the
keyboard ;-)   Maybe your cat.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
antispam: rot 13 my email xor with the first 20 letters of the king james bible and run crypt to mail me.