[plug] Meeting 9/5 - archives

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 9 18:42:30 WST 2000

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 06:01:00PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> MP3 won't go that thin or slow. 11kB/second _is_ a low bitrate; the only
> lower one that I've seen used other than as a joke is 8kB/s. Lame
> (MPEG2) won't do less than 16 bits at 16KHz.

_I_ thought you were talking "uncompressed" 11025 8-bit samples/sec -
which is low quality, but common enough.

MP3 will indeed do 16kbps, and with Fraunhofer's low bitrate extensions,
8kbps. Adequate for voice and fits fine over a modem.

If we're mainly aiming at voice, in fact, we can do even better - fire
up Speak Freely for UNIX and there's a raft of choices, including 13kbps
for decent quality GSM and 2400bps (!) for LPC-10.

http://www.au.speakfreely.org/

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal