[plug] Linux on an Alpha?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed May 10 12:49:23 WST 2000

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:07:37AM +0800, Darrell Horrocks wrote:
> Anyone got a location where I can get information of the BSDs-v-Linux?  Is BSD
> another (more or less) distribution with a different kernel(s)?
> Can someone point me in the direction of some information regarding this,
> particularly with regard to differences in hardware support, applications
> supported etc?  I have been trying to do so using the *BSD pages, but finding it
> hard to snorkel through ALL the information.

Better not to say "BSD-v-Linux" -- you're likely to inspire a fight. ;-)
I posted a list of what I considered to be the differences between BSD
and Linux to the list a few months back.  Take a look in the archives.

> I ask this because I want to get linux working on a very old powermac, but was
> told I would need to use netbsd.

NetBSD supports a wide variety of architectures which is probably why.
Then again, I have little experience on non-Intel architectures so I
can't really advise whether this is the case or not.

Regards,

Christian.