[plug] Linux on DEC 3000

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Wed May 10 13:29:57 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote
> There are a few people trying to get Linux to work on a DEC 3000
> www.alphalinux.org (which is now back online) pointed me to these pages:

We are all going to get sick of this, but thank you Matt (again).  I have
now learned that the old DECStation that I was about to pull the plug on,
perhaps forever, will now run Linux.  The web site for those interested in
this hardware is http://decstation.unix-ag.org .

Maybe the old box will have a new life after all.  It is only about as fast
as a Pentium 100, but it is rock solid, has 128 Mb of RAM and has a 21"
screen. I think we bought the thing in 1992 and have only recently replaced
it with a Pentium III Linux box.  There can't be many other workstations out
there that have had eight years of active life. We normally ran it with
three to six clients logged in, running X-Terminal servers.

Colin Rothnie