[plug] offtopic: funny win98 bug

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu May 11 14:13:20 WST 2000

Bevan Broun wrote:

> Looks like win98 was never meant to stay up.
>
> Here's the edited README when you download the Win98 System Update
> -------
> This System Update includes features for networking,
> security and accessibility issues. It is part of the
> Windows® 98 Customer Service Pack.  The following
> updates are included the Windows 98 Customer Service
> Pack:
>
> Windows 98 System Update ....  This system update
> addresses the following issues: .......  Computer
> Hangs After 49.7 Days If your computer is left
> running for 49.7 days without restarting, your
> Windows 98 computer may stop responding (hang).
> This is caused by a problem with the timing
> algorithm in the Vtdapi.vxd file.

95 did the same thing..
I believe it was related to the millisecond uptime counter
overflowing. We stupidly installed some 95 machines in a mission
critical system (By no means my decision, I was just called in to
clean up the mess) and they bombed about every 50 days or so.
After 12 months of this, I finally persuaded them to bite the bullet
and put in a pair of NT4 workstations.. problem solved.

Mind you, this is the only time I ever saw Win95 go above 10 days
without crashing. Not that they were doing much.

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would