[plug] Access Permissions/PAP query...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri May 12 15:57:50 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > We'd really like to get away from using UNIX accounts and permissions and use
> > something more abstract, for a number of reasons, such as abstraction from UNIX
> > accounts, more flexibility, etc...
>
> package libpam-pwdb apparently allows you to use a radius server, so
> providing the four authentication methods you mentioned use PAM, you
> should be able to get them to talk to the radius server
> I haven't tried it though, so YMMV. Let me know if you have any success
> though.

PAP may be useful for Authentication, but AFAICS it doesn't help with expanding
the method of access restrictions to the filesystem.

At the moment, the best long-term solution seems to be to shift Content
Developers to a WebDAV environment (http://www.webdav.org/). It'll mean
alternate ways for clients to access files (no more Samba/Netatalk/FTP), but it
means it'll be easy to use whatever Authentication system we want, as it's all
HTTP based.

That's a big change tho, and would need time to be changed to.

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :