[plug] MySQL versus NT SQL Server

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat May 13 10:14:33 WST 2000

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 01:27:46AM +0800, Phillip Steege wrote:
> I have been trying to convince our IT department to look at MySQL as a
> viable alternative to NT SQL Server.
> Currently we have an ALR8200 server running NT 4.0.  Our engineers use
> Access databases on NT workstations and want to have these databases served.
> I recommended going to a Linux OS and MySQL mostly for price difference, but
> I would also like to show performance improvements in my pitch to managment.
> Does anyone know of any web documents showing comparison performance studies
> of MySQL versus NT SQL server?

There was a recent article on the web somewhere explaining that MySQL is
not a real RDBMS, just a SQL front-end to storing data.  From my own
experiences using MySQL I strongly recommend that you don't use it if
you require any real RDBMS features -- it simply doesn't have them.
Even Access actually has these sorts of features.  If you want a
database to use under Linux then perhaps you should look at something
like Oracle, PostgreSQL or Informix.  MySQL is, however, very fast
(because it lacks proper SQL features) so if this is your sole criteria
then it might be worth considering.  Also, MySQL is not free or "open
source" (tm) software and for memory there is a licensing fee for
commercial use (although it won't be anywhere near as expensive as other
proprietary systems).

Regards,

Christian.