[plug] re; samba

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat May 13 18:14:24 WST 2000

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> I'm attempting to install Samba so I can create a share on a Linux box for
> data files from 2 Windows workstations.

Jon,
if you want "files from windows workstations" to be seen on the Linux box,
you just mount the windows share using the 'mount' command and 'smb'
filesystem support in the kernel. No extra package is needed.

>  Looking into the RPM directory on
> the CD I see 3 files for Samba 1) client, 2) common and 3) I assume the
> regular file.  What purposes does #1 & 2 serves?

  To use Linux as an SMB server, install samba-common and samba RPMs.
The client package just duplicates functionality already in the kernel.

cheers,

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
antispam: rot 13 my email xor with the first 20 letters of the king james
bible and run crypt to mail me.