[plug] Scheduling Problems

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu May 18 13:08:35 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Brad Campbell wrote:
> > I can't do a blocking read, in case I have a device go down.
>
> Yes you can! You're not on a single-user machine. Have a watchdog
> thread/process tap the main thread/process on the shoulder if it dies.

Point taken, but anyway, thats not the problem.
I modified it to use blocking IO and just shifted the place in which it
blocks..
Instead of waiting on the select call, it waits on the transmit call.
By the time it's re-selected, there is data waiting, so the recieve does
not block.

top shows the process to be in a constant state of sleep.

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would