[plug] Booting - Sendmail

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Sat May 20 18:51:18 WST 2000

Daniel Pearson wrote:

> machine quite a few times now, however, whenever I try to boot it up now it
> always seems to get to Sendmail and not go any further, so I reboot it with

See below, from:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Tips-HOWTO-2.html

-Colin

2.19 Why does sendmail hang for 5 minutes on startup with RedHat? Paul
Anderson, paul at geeky1.ebtech.net

This is a fairly common problem, almost to the point of being a FAQ. I
don't know if RedHat has fixed this bug in their distribution,
but you can repair it yourself. If you look in your /etc/hosts file, you
will find it looks something like:

     127.0.0.1               localhost       yourbox

When sendmail starts, it does a lookup on your hostname(in this example,
yourbox). It then finds that the IP for yourbox is 127.0.0.1,
sendmail doesn't like this, so it does the lookup again. It continues
with this for a while until it eventually gives up and exits. Fixing
the problem is extremely easy, edit your /etc/hosts file and change it
to something like this:

     127.0.0.1               localhost
     10.56.142.1             yourbox