[plug] 64bit itanium linux - comments ?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun May 21 00:15:12 WST 2000

Oliver White wrote:

> Mike from West Australia wrote:
>
> > http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0519/2572242:2620399
> >
> >     LINUX DEVELOPERS START YOUR ENGINES. Red Hat
> >     releases 64-bit Itanium Linux.
> >
> > ANyone want to bite ;)
>
> I'd rather go an alpha system.
>
> --
> Oliver White

It the Itanium is Intel, I'd rather stick with my Cyrix 6x86 - more
secure (than intel), and no espionage features built in, like the P3's.
They definitely don't make 'em like this anymore. Good old Socket 7.

The strange thing is, that, given that my CPU is only supposed to have
the 486 instruction set, it runs applications and OS's, that are
supposed to require the 586's, and therefore, apparently, the 586
instruction set.

And, whatever the critics have said, I appear to have had no problems
running Win9x, WinNT, or Linux on it (apart from the standard OS
features, like the blue screen of death), despite the alleged
instruction set incompatibilities, which I think were nasty rumours from
the Wintel camp.

--

Bret Busby