[plug] win98 install

steveg at calm.wa.gov.au steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Mon May 22 09:29:28 WST 2000

> * If it's a non-upgrade windows, you lose. SETUP will refuse to install
> if it sees an existing OS.

The following works well for Win95 -> Win95.OSR2 and should work
for Win95 -> Win98, though I haven't tried it and YMMV:

To reiterate Leon's sage advice:
***WARNING*** IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING PRECIOUS, BACK IT
UP FIRST!!

1.  Record the OEM number from your existing Win installation
Certificate of Authenticity, or from Start -> Control Panel -> System -
> General. Start Win98 setup from within Win95

2.  When presented with the License Agreement dialogue box,
STOP. Don't click anything, resist the urge to click "Next", just STOP.

3.  Open the Start Menu (Ctrl-Esc) and click "Run". Type "notepad"
and click "OK"

4.  Open the file "setuppp.inf" in the directory "WININST0.400".

5.  Find the line with the text "[data]" Add the following after it:
"OEMUP=1" The completed text should look as follows:

[data]
OEMUP=1

6.  Save the file and exit Notepad.

7.  Switch back to the setup (Alt-Tab) and continue with the
installation.

Regards,
Steve