[plug] /newbie - DNS problems?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed May 24 12:21:45 WST 2000

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Scott, Simon wrote:

> Unfortunately DNS is one of those difficult bits, where a prepackaged
> configuration just won't cut it. It sounds as if running DNS is a good idea

No need to make it sound that scary. You could start with the prepackaged
caching nameserver, read the HOWTO, and look at some examples.

Do you need to make the DNS visible from outside your firewall?
If so, its gets less simple.

> unless you want to create a global HOSTS file and update everyone's
> PC everytime you add a new machine, not a good idea).

Or use NIS ?

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
antispam: rot 13 my email xor with the first 20 letters of the king james
bible and run crypt to mail me.