[plug] Audio Streaming File

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu May 25 11:04:02 WST 2000

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Garth Atkinson wrote:

> I have a problem where if the .asf file is accessed from a NT file
> server both audio and video are presented (via windows media player) but
> if the file is accessed via apache as part of a web page, I get only
> audio (via the same windows media player).

Sounds like a mime-type issue.

What do the respective webservers report as the mime type?

easy way to find out:
telnet <webserver> 80

GET /path/file.asf HTTP/1.0

(press enter twice after the GET line)

The server should respond with a whole bunch of info, before sending you
the file.  The line you are most interested in is Content-type

You want to make sure Apache sends the same Content-type as the NT server
does.

You can modify the mime-type apache sends with an appropriate line in
srm.conf

eg. AddHandler video/microsloth .asf

(replacing video/microsloth with the appropriate mime type)

 - Matt