[plug] win98 install after linux

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Fri May 26 11:29:40 WST 2000

It looks like setup is about to remove your 'non DOS' partition, which is
obviously your linux partition.  You don't want that.  I think it is
probably trying to 'clean' your disk out and allocate the whole disk to
win98.

This might happen if you just changed the filesystem type from NTFS to FAT32
with the linux fdisk program and told windows to go for it.  Windows might
not properly recognise the partition, since the DOS fdisk program also zeros
out the first block (for some reason...?) when you create a DOS partition.
Try

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=512 count=1

or maybe boot a windows floppy use the DOS commands for create and format
the partition.

bakes
--
Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au - Integra Consulting Grp http://www.icg.net.au