[plug] MBF website does weird stuff to Netscape - how?

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 26 16:56:26 WST 2000

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 04:42:31PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> ( You've seen the ads, anybody over 30 or earning good money should
> be getting

... a good crack on the head.

No, sorry, whoops, thinking of something else. :)

> private health insurance. )
>  But try www.mbf.com.au !

*looks at page* Oh dear.....

> Testing with both netscape comm4.51 on RH6.0, and 4.61 on RH6.1 it
> does weird stuff - causing not just its own page, but other netscape
> windows to black out areas and not refresh properly. Even affects
> the mail/news window.

I'm using netscape 4.7 (not sure if it's the very latest), and it
seemed to work "okay" for some value of okay.

>   Can you reproduce this? Any idea whats going on? Netscape on Win32 is
> unaffected. Turning off Java, Javascript and CSS doesnt help.

It probably wouldn't help much - it looks like the site has been
designed by the sort of f*ckwits that rely on javascript for
navigation.

> The page in question has multiple nested frames and is all graphics
> - really horrid over-complexity. But how is it wrecking netscape's
> display in other windows?

Hey, it was pretty amusing looking at it in Lynx.... :)

frame after frame after frame after frame after frame with no text in
sight, just heaps of javascript and tables and images....

> Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>

One of the worst pages for viewing in Lynx I've ever seen, certainly.
Netscape 4.7 does seem to manage with it though - just. :)

Haven't got a recent Mozilla to try it on.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"If you want an application to be portable, you don't necessarily create an
abstraction layer like a microkernel so much as you program intelligently."

  -- Linus Torvalds on Microkernels (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)