[plug] Compact SMP problems

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Sun May 28 11:44:41 WST 2000

Hi all,

At work we have a project to evaluate the feasibility of using Linux as
a compute OS for some of our Geophysics processing.

We are using Redhat 6.2 on a Compac with dual 733 Mhz CPUs, 1 GB RAM and
the latest SCSI. I will post the specific config if anyone is interested
or it seems relavent to the problem.

The problem we are having is that when using the SMP kernel the network
performance slows to a crawl after between 1 and about 5 days (from
around 9MB/sec to around 10kb/sec). This is seen in simple FTP, without
even the overhead of NFS.

I will post a summary of what has been tried so far during next week.

Since this machine will get all the processing data bia NFS this is a
'show stoper'.

Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this or any sugestions
for resolving the problem.

--
   ,-._|\    Ian Kent
  /      \   Perth, Western Australia