[plug] Netgear FA310 and debian

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Sun May 28 12:32:46 WST 2000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, dan wrote:
> I have just installed a new system with the bin's from linux.org.au in the
> potato directory. I load the tulip.o and up my ethernet card but I can't
> get out.
Those netgears are notorious. they kept changing the chips in them for a
while. It might need tulip.o or it might need de????.o or it might need
I-don't-know-what. It will work if you get the right driver (perhaps
modulo some fiddling), so zless /usr/doc/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.gz and
search for your particular chipset.

> It picks up the hardware details (irq and mac addr) but thats it.
> Its a little annoying because I am trying to do an ftp install....
Yuk. I'm sure I recall having that problem when using tulip.o instead of
the appropriate de*.o or whatever. Look for a (pretty big) chip on the
card which says de21040 or something similar.

In the meantime, could you perhaps trim your posts to something less than
80 columns for the convenience of those trying to reply to you? Thanks.

-Greg Mildenhall