[plug] Compact SMP problems

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun May 28 13:11:25 WST 2000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Ian Kent wrote:

> The problem we are having is that when using the SMP kernel the network
> performance slows to a crawl after between 1 and about 5 days (from
> around 9MB/sec to around 10kb/sec). This is seen in simple FTP, without
> even the overhead of NFS.

Which kernel, what Network card, and what hub/switch?

I've had similar problems with crappy realtek based netcards,
I've also had similar problems with Netgear FA310TX netcards, when plugged
into a Netgear switching hub. (incompatibility between the two it seems,
and Netgear don't seem to care)

I've also had similar problems with older Netgears (with different
chipset) which needed a tulip.c version upgrade.

 - Matt (running an _original_ Tulip based Netgear under 2.2.7 SMP with no
         problems)