[plug] Framebuffer problem

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon May 29 13:21:56 WST 2000

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Peter Wright wrote:

> And I even played around with the vga settings - I tried to give VGA
> 0301 (just as it suggests in the Framebuffer HOWTO), but it told me
> that wasn't a valid mode. Which would be consistent if the framebuffer
> wasn't loaded.

Actually they have nothing to do with each other. I don't know why the
howto suggests 0301 because it's never been a valid mode on any system
I've used :)

the vga= stuff is just the normal console stuff.

> So I did get a message about the MTRR, but SFA about the vesafb. :-/
> It's certainly starting to look like the framebuffer stuff just flat
> out isn't in the kernel. Strange, as I would have thought that the
> /proc/devices having an fb device listed would mean it _is_ in the
> kernel.... Can anyone correct me on this?

Maybe fb is silent if it doesn't find any valid framebuffer devices.
what gfx card are you using, and what fb drivers did you compile in?

 - Matt