Startup

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 31 17:56:37 WST 2000

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 05:42:15PM +0800, Scott, Simon wrote:
> 1) I cant remember exactly how to do this at a file level... but you want to
> change the initial run level from 5 to 3... Try running Linuxconf and
> choosing boot mode or something similar... if you look around you should be
> able to find something about initial run level. I wish I could remember the
> file it is in, its on the tip of my tongue... sorry

/etc/inittab

If you look at the file, it pretty much explains what to do... it
should look something like this:

[ ...snip initial comments... ]
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
# networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

id:5:initdefault:
[ ... ]

The first uncommented line should look like the above. You want to
change the 5 to 3. That's all. :)

If you want your machine to go into runlevel 3 (ie. turn off X)
without rebooting, just type

# telinit 3

which (you guessed it) tells init to go into runlevel 3.

> 2) go into /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and find S??Sendmail (?? is a number)... Rename
> it to Keep-S??Sendmail, or anything that doesnt begin with S. Do the same in
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d if it exists.

I'd be fairly worried if it didn't. :)

> Then go into /etc/rc.d/init.d and type
>
> 	./sendmail stop
>
> Anyway, Im running from memory here....havent got a linux box in
> front of me. Give it a go.

That's pretty good from memory actually.  *applauds*

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

24. You realize there is not a sound in the house and you have no idea where
    your children are.