[plug] (Probably) Basic Network question

Joshua Pierre alpha at indigo.net.au
Thu Nov 2 01:26:03 WST 2000

Hey,

Cant you just edit /etc/hosts to put in the other network ip's and hostnames so
you can do like ssh root at bob or something. Here is a quick example if this is
what you mean :)

192.168.1.1	bob.lan 	bob
192.168.1.2	fred.lan	fred
Hope this answers your query if not, call me stupid :)

Also, you dont have to have localhost.localdomain, you can change it to what
you please  but it usually does a search for the eth[0123456789] devices ips
and can go from there. Well that works for me. Like when you ssh into fred from
bob it will say bob ssh'd in as that is the ip/host it has in it's /etc/hosts.
If you want to get more techincal/special have a look at bind to get into some
DNS.

Regards,

Josh

--