[plug] Squid2.3

Thomas, Andre thomasa at wa.switch.aust.com
Wed Nov 1 16:41:15 WST 2000

Hi,

I have decided that after much frustration to rpm -e squid and go dig
out the xxx.tar.gz for it.  Now I have a new problem:  User and Group
ID's.  I must be doing something wrong.

With the User and Group ID's, it can be run as nobody/nogroup or
squid/squid.  Opting for squid/squid, I added a user "squid" and ran
from /usr/local/squid/bin/ ./squid.  This is what I get:

Nothing.

a ./squid status gives me nothing and a ./squid stop does the same.
Removing the user/group 'squid' and selecting the option (default):

cache_effective_user nobody
cache_effective_group nogroup

I get the error:

FATAL: getgrnam failed to find groupid for effective group 'nogroup'
Squid Cache (Version 2.3.STABLE4): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.030 seconds = 0.030 user + 0.000 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 233

What am I completely and utterly missing here?

Cheers in advance,

-André