[plug] procmail problem

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Nov 2 11:24:34 WST 2000

Hi all,

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, procmail has stopped filtering
mail from one mailing list into the correct file.  All the other
filtering rules still work fine and nothing has changed in
~/.procmailrc.

After switching on logging, I get the message:
procmail: Error while writing to "bugtraq"
>From BUGTRAQ at SECURITYFOCUS.COM  Thu Nov  2 11:03:43 2000
Subject:      Re: Samba 2.0.7 SWAT vulnerabilities
Folder: /var/spool/mail/again		 4303

And so on for each message.

The manual page for procmail tells me:
Error while writing to "x"
		Nonexistent  subdirectory, no write
       		permission, pipe died or disk full.

However the file exists (as I said, nothing has changed and it has
always worked before), there is write permission on the file (it has the
same permissions as all the other mail files and nothing has been
changed here either) and there's plenty of room left on the disk. As for
"pipe died", I have no idea why this might be happening.  The only
things I can think of are that the mail file for 'bugtraq' is rather
large (1.1 meg) and this is the only difference between it and the rest
of the mail files but I can't see why that would matter.  The other
thing is that I recently upgraded my libc and a number of things have
failed since (including Postfix which just needed to be upgraded too)
but I've upgraded procmail with no change either.

If anyone can suggest a reason why this isn't working I'd really
appreciate it!

Regards,

Christian.