[plug] laptop recommendations

wvovil at fundi.com.au wvovil at fundi.com.au
Thu Nov 2 11:36:50 WST 2000

Hi

I purchased a top-of-the-line Toshiba TECRA 8100 (766MHz PIII), 128 MB RAM, 20GB
HDD, crappy Winmodem (I was told it wasn't when I bought it). I had all sort of
probs with RH 6.x, Corel, Turbo etc etc; but Mandrake 6.5 and 7.1 installed ok.
I had probs with X-Win (S3 Savage/MX). I got a driver that works ok except I
have to press 'windoze key) to get it to display X-win gdm. I'm living with the
problem for now (Hey, it works!!!). Got Kingmax PCMCIA Fax/modem and using
Netscape Mail for now (all OK). Haven't tried ethernet PCMCIA yet (Xircom
10T/100??).

Wayne

"Phillip Steege" <psteege at tpg.com.au> on 01/11/2000 17:02:56

Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au