[plug] UPS's

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Nov 6 17:47:43 WST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Michael Hunt wrote:

> With RiserFS is the changing to read-only really an issue ??? (Someone with
> more knowledge on this please correct me if I am wrong). It sounds like a
> good idea though.

ReiserFS only guarantees that the meta-data that contains information
about the filesystem is consistent, which is why it fsck's so fast. It
does not guarantee that any files that are being written are not corrupt,
or truncated, or whatever, so by going to single-user mode you are
ensuring there aren't likely to be any programs that are writing to the
disk, and going to read-only is just going to guarantee that any programs
that do attempt to write are going to be told they can't.

 - Matt