[plug] UPS's - bizarre experience

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Nov 7 20:25:12 WST 2000

I wrote:
> We settled on an APC BackUPS Pro 280 to run our server box (no monitor)
> and I'm about to start configuring the automation et al tonight.

After letting the battery charge a while, I decided to manually test it by
pulling the power plug on it... At that instant the entire neighbourhood's
power went out for about 2 seconds, taking down our other machines,
clocks, microwaves and our toaster (which has a Cancel button!?). Of
course my server stayed on with its UPS. =)

But can I safely assume it was a freak co-incidence and not a faulty
UPS? I have no idea how unplugging the UPS could _possibly_ black out
the neighborhood and I can replicate the situation either (fortunately :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham.com.au