[plug] UPS's

Garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Nov 8 10:20:50 WST 2000

The only UPS system I have seen is a "no break" system. This was pretty big,
using serious rotating machinary.

The incoming mains power was rectified and used to charge a bank of large
cells, and to power an inverter,  powering a 3 phase generator. This relied on
mechanical inertia. Not efficient, but there was _no_ break in the event of an
outage. The cell->inverter->generator kept the show on the road until the
backup deisel generator was on line, and taking the role of the "mains".

A MUCH cheaper system for a home computer could be done, without the mechanics.

240V.>regulated supply..14.5V...>...-|>|...>inverter....240V....>Computer
v batt charger                                    |

The -|>| is an attempted diode symbol.

My electronics is rusty, very much out of practice.
Might not be perfect (hey, it might not even work...) but it would be cheap to
build.. And it'd give someone an interest for a weekend.

Garry.