[plug] KDE and Nautilus

Russell Keith-Magee keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 14:04:33 WST 2000

Darrell Horrocks wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Has anyone had first hand experience with Nautilus PR2, and was the
> experience good/bad?  There have only really been good things written
> about KDE2 (generally) and this is the environment that I am used to.  I
> realise that Nautilus is only part of Gnome, but it does look nice.
>
> Succinctly, is it worth a try?

I haven't tried KDE2 extensively, so I can't really provide a
comparison, but Nautilus looks pretty tight to me. Its relatively bug
free (for a beta 2 level release) - at least to give you a good chance
to look around. The zoom feature is nifty and fairly responsive; the
mozilla integration is cool; the directory views are a good UI feature
(for example, `music' view for a directory full of MP3's turns Nautilus
into an MP3 player); the `file preview' bits are _really_ cool (hover
your mouse over an mp3 file and it starts playing).

The preview of the Eazel services look interesting; the software
install/update stuff is quite sweet - much better than Helix Update
(although the new Helix updater is supposed to be a big improvement as
well).

My biggest beef is that there is no obvious way to ditch GMC, and
replace it with Nautilus; consequently, you have two big chunks of
memory being consumed by file managers. I presume this will happen when
Gnome 2.0 is rolled out, but it would be nice to be able to do this in
the interim.

Oh - and you can't demo Nautilus on RH7. A bit of a bugger for my home
box, that...

Should you try it? Up to you, really. I downloaded it to have a look,
but I can't say I'll be using it every day - yet. If anyone can tell me
how to ditch GMC in favour of Nautilus, I'd probably do it. I would
suspect that the same would be true for most Gnome users who like
following the leading (but not bleeding) edge. If you're a KDE user,
(and intend to stay that way) I'm not sure that testing Nautilus would
be a worthwhile proposition - why would you want to use a file manager
other than Konq?

> ps. I refuse to ask the question, should I be using Gnome of KDE.  Who
> knows the religious debates that might ensue! ;-)

Hey, while you're at it, Debian or Redhat? (grins, ducks, runs)...

NOTE FOR SARCASM IMPAIRED - this was a retorical question...

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
PhD Research Student
School of Computing, Curtin University of Technology
email: keithmag at cs.curtin.edu.au OR russ.magee at computer.org
WWW:   http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~keithmag
Ph: +61 8 9266 2129    FAX +61 8 9266 2819