[plug] Mandrake 7.2 install hassles

Scott Middleton scott at bizzpro.com.au
Thu Nov 9 19:46:27 WST 2000

<snip>
>Is there an easy way to get to the new Mandrake install, and confirm that
it actually works? I know I could probably set up a LILO config from
scratch, but that would be pushing my limited Linux skills.
<snip>

First let me apologise for using OE but this is my workshop machine.
Having some experience with Mandrake and Win98 partitions you will need to
use lilo (i don't know grub that well) probably from a linux  emergency boot
disk, but it really isn't that hard.
On my machine i boot win98 from hdb1 (which requires a couple of extra
settings).
In /etc/lilo.conf  it should read something like:
prompt
image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda? (whatever it is depending if it is logical or not, e-mail
me for more info)
    alias=1 (so you only have to press 1 then enter)
other=/dev/hda1 (if win98 is primary partition)
    label=win98 (or whatever you want)
    alias=3
Obviously after that you have to run lilo. :)

My recommendation if you have the funds is to use a different HDD for linux
and windows, Mandrake will automatically  detect and install the relevent
information for grub (or lilo) to boot either one. This will also give you
the advantage of pulling out the linux HDD whenever you want and still being
able to boot into windows (which is what i am hoping not to do).
Unfortunately debian requires you to enter the information in lilo.conf
yourself.

This is all off the top of my head and i haven't looked at my lilo.conf
which i have modified to suit my needs. Also you have take into account that
i am running debian but i did look at a Mandrake lilo.conf before replying.
I have only been using linux for a few months so i defer to people with more
experience.  :)

Scott Middleton
Workshop Manager
Linux Services WA