[plug] Linux, Devices and Schools

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Nov 15 22:42:24 WST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Oliver White wrote:
> One of the HP fellows helped out my sister, giving her a cable and a
> windows app for entering her notes, reducing the data entry time to
> 4hrs, from an estimated 20. Hooray for them! </plug>

They have to pay for these normally?

> Anyway, this has got me thinking... our schools are already using basic
> networkable embedded systems. What sort of cheap, fun and educational
> applications could we come up with to help teach kids about the
> possibilities for technology in the very near future? It seems to me
> that although PDAs are becomming quite common, they're not used for much
> except solitare and buzzword bingo.
>
> I'd like to get a few people with some hardware and software clues to
> discuss making a few open spec toys.
>
> Anyone interested?

Yes, definitely. I think this would be a very worthwhile exercise! I know
a guy that'd be interested as well - he's very much an idea oriented
person and was a previous president of ECAWA. One of his posts was
forwarded to plug recently (Mr. Weber are you out there?)

> I'm moving to melbourne in mid december, so it would be good to do it
> sometime soon. Maybe at a PLUG meet in the near future.

I've exams that end next week - 24th Nov (at last) so after they're gone
I'm hoping to be at the following monday/tuesday meets.

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham