[plug] Linux, Devices and Schools

Andrew Oakeley aoakeley at rmaust.com.au
Thu Nov 16 07:50:37 WST 2000

<CUT FROM ECHALK>

Swan View Senior High School in association with the Department of
Electronic and Electrical Engineering at The University of Western
Australia have developed GENESIS - just for you! (Well not only you - but
it sounds grand.) Go to <www.ee.uwa.edu.au/~genesis> to find out about
projects we have designed for schools to use in their D&T, Maths and
Science departments. Register with GENESIS - it's free!!! But that's not
all - as well as the free steak knives you get free support by university
lecturers and post-graduate students with the resources of a university
electronics workshop to solve any technical problems you can dream up (as
well as those you can't).

The STEP4A circuit board we developed is ideal for controlling four 12V
unipolar motors (such as those in 5.25 inch FDD!) using power from a 10
to 15V 1 Amp power source  (AC or DC). It interfaces with the computer
via the parallel port and a .DLL we have developed and has the STEP4A
circuit testing software (that's right - GUI windows software written
just to support THIS board) to ensure a 100% sucess rate in building the
board. It costs $11 to build so every kid can afford one and if they scam
the steppers the turtle robot project can be built for under $20 - try
that with ANY robot kit!!!

The languages supported include LOGO (such as the free but excellent
MSWLOGO) for which we have a turtle.lgo file that controls the turtle
robot project that uses three motors (using simple commands like tfd 100,
tlt 90, trt 45, tpu tpd - you get the idea), Visual Basic, JAVA, C(++)
and Pascal. We have the backing of the Faculty of Engineering at The
University of Western Australia and are developing new projects all the
time (see below).