[plug] Mandrake 7.2 CUPS print driver

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Nov 18 19:37:58 WST 2000

mark wrote:
> Leon Brooks wrote:
>> mark wrote:
>>> I have just installed Mandrake 7.2 its a big improvement on 7
>>> It detected and set up the ata66 controller on my MB straight up
>>> brilliant :).

>>> Is there a known problem with the new CUPS printer driver and SO5.2

>> Not AFAIK. But if you have an insoluble problem with CUPS, you can revert to
>> lpd.

> Definitely broken.  Pity it would have been a near perfect system...

You will find if you have both CUPS and lpd that there are several lpr etc
programs. A quick bit of renaming brings lpd back into play. I'm fairly sure
that printerdrake can be told to use either with a command-line switch
(scanning... (PERL) source to /usr/sbin/printerdrake suggests that --lpd and
--cups might work even though not listed in --help). I've attached it (1.6kB,
smaller than many diatribes) to the list so PERL monks like Mr Kemner can verify
my guess.

> The output from the CUPS drivers is very good.

> Star office via lpd is a bit sad really.

lpd worked about a decade past retirement age. Not entirely sure that CUPS is
the ideal replacement but it does do some very nice things, and once running
(either dead easy or nearly impossible) it seems harder to push over than lpd.

--
"Actually this is a common misconception...I do *not* in fact have
a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very