[plug] Cannot rlogin

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Nov 24 09:35:06 WST 2000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Phil Steege wrote:

> I get no errors.  I type in rlogin host2 -l username and I get nothing back.
> I used to get the "password:" prompt now it just sits there until I exit the
> process.

How long do you wait for it before giving up?

Sounds to me like it's trying to resolve your hostname, which can take up
to 15 minutes.  My guess is if you waited long enough it would either
work, or it would give a more useful error.

Have you added entries for both hosts in each of the hosts' /etc/hosts
file?

ie they both should have at least three lines:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.1	host1
192.168.1.2	host2

(or whatever IP addresses you are using)

So they both know each other's IP address.

 - Matt