[plug] Cookies

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 29 14:18:24 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > > Same for all versions: ~/.netscape/cookies
> >
> > Had a look; couln't find it.
>
> > Did whereis cookie - no path
>
> If you RTFM for "whereis" you will find that it says:
> "locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command"
>
> the cookies file is a data file for netscape so it's no wonder it doesn't
> find it.

Ah.

> "locate" might be a more appropriate command, but only if updatedb is run
> regularly and it has the permission to read your home directory (which is
> a bad idea if you can't trust everyone on your system)

locate returned:
"warning...slocatedb is more than 8 days old"

The only entries returned, were *cookies.html, in the path, and, in
subdirectories to the path, /home/httpd/html/manual/mod

> > Did ls -al on the latter; did not see either .netscape, or, cookies.
>
> the '~' is a special character that points to your home directory.
> Try "cd ~/.netscape" as the user you run Netscape as.
>
> You _do_ run netscape as a different user than the one you run everything
> else with, right?

At present, only run Netscape and gxedit on the Linux on my computer,
and occasionally, Star Office 5.2. From time to time, have run pgsql.

I assume that this is a security issue, and, from your statement, that I
should have a user created, specifically to run netscape, and, that
netscape should be run with only that user, to protect everything else
on the system?

This may seem blatantly obvious, to you, and, to others, but, it is not,
to me.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988