File Permissions (Re: [plug] Cookies)

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 29 18:23:41 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > If permissions are to be set, then, wouldn't 606 (r+w , for root and for
> > user), be more appropriate? That would allow root, and the user, to see
> > what, if anything, is in the file, and, to clear its contents, when
> > appropriate.
>
> Bret, the order for file permissions are
>
> "owner of the file", "members of the group", "everyone else"
>
> Never, ever, set the last digit to anything but 0,1,4 or 5 on any file
> unless you want everybody with access to your system to be able to write
> to that file.
>
> Please re-read the chmod manpage.  It might save you from making a costly
> mistake.
>
>  - Matt

Well, that was certainly a silly mistake. I should have known better.
user/group/everyone else. I don't know where I got the idea of root, in
there. Sorry about that.

In the circumstances, what I should have said, was 600. If the
permission is set at 600, I had believed that that would have been okay,
to allow reading, and clearing, of the file, by me.

My boss has got home, and, she has suitably told me off, for the 606.
She has also said that the 000 proposition sounds interesting.

And, the website that I was trying to visit, is still down.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988