Squid & doubleclick Re: [plug] Cookies

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Nov 30 14:52:03 WST 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 billk at iinet.net.au wrote:

> Also, on a close topic (defeating tracking), does anyone have a reference
> on how to get squid to serve up a graphic of my choice and not doubleclick
> adds.

I had this as part of my redir.pl script at Networx
made Altavista pages load up in less than half the time.

#!/usr/bin/perl
$|=1;
while (<>) {
s'^http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/altavista.digital.com/sponsor-button/left_badge.*'http:/
/www.networx.net.au/ads/doubleclick/adleft.gif'i ||
s'^http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/altavista.digital.com/sponsor-button/right_badge.*'http:
//www.networx.net.au/ads/doubleclick/adright.gif'i ||
s'^http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/.*'http://www.networx.net.au/ads/doubleclick/iframe.htm
l'i ||
s'^http://ad.doubleclick.net/adl/.*'http://www.networx.net.au/ads/doubleclick/layer.html
'i ||
s'^http://ad.doubleclick.net/.*'http://www.networx.net.au/ads/doubleclick/digital4_ad.gi
f'i;
print;

Save that to ~squid/bin/redir.pl (or wherever) and point your
redirect_program at that.

I don't know what the law says about deliberately censoring ad sites such
as those on behalf of your customers, which is the main reason I haven't
implemented something similar at WASP. (That and the fact doubleclick keep
changing their directory structures so the above was causing problems on
some sites, and in fact may not work at all anymore without some minor
tweaking - it was taking too much time to keep it up to date)

 - Matt