[plug] text editors.. pico

Carl Gherardi gherardi at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Oct 1 02:42:41 WST 2000

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Scott Campbell wrote:
> >
> > but how do you actually edit the file, what is the name of a text editior?
> > and some basic commands?
>
> The most common text editor on Linux & UNIX clones machines (that i've
> seen) is either emacs or vi/vim, both of which are horribly hard to use
> for newbies... powerful yes, but quite irritating for simple tasks.
> They're probably already installed though.

I use VI, which on most systems is just a symbolbic lick to vim.

To learn vi as a newbie a great place is:

http://vpn.dssrg.curtin.edu.au/~griffith/vi/vitutor1.html

It has a series of quick tutorials that start off with basic needs and get
quickly more complicated.

The tutorial is a tiny bit dated (eg the first lesson says "use hjkl to
move up down left and right" on your own system the defaults should be the
arrow keys.