[plug] re Mandrake 7.1 Install

Edwin Johnston edwijohn at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 2 19:23:13 WST 2000

Hi group,
just got a copy of Mandrake 7.1 and tried to install. Have got the Sam's
book "Learn Linux Mandrake" in 24 Hours" which comes with a copy of 7.0.
Anyway, tried installing Linux by following the book and it wasn't very
clear when it came to setting up the hard disk. I've got 2 HDs, a 6.4Gb for
Windows 98 and a 4.2Gb which I intend to use for Linux. In the installation
process (don't ask me how) the FAT on HDA (the 6.4Gb) got overwritten and
I've had to reinstall Win98 <groan, what a pain>. The installation aborted
and I did not get Linux on the 4.2Gb drive.
I've just spent the last two days trying to fix up the Win98 disk but I
still cannot get Windows to recognise my second CD ROM (burner) on bootup.
It will recognise it if I go to Control Panel, Add New Hardware.

I do intend to reinstall Mandrake 7.1 ASAP but would welcome some advice on
how to:
1. Overcome the CD ROM burner problem.
2. How to avoid having happen what happened on the previous install.

Many thanks in advance,
Edwin Johnston