[plug] [seeing insert mode etc in vim]

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Tue Oct 3 13:32:10 WST 2000

Beau Kuiper wrote:
> 3) The feedback vi (or even vim) gives back is far too terse to understand. Am
> I in command or insert mode. Where exactly am I in the file I am working on.
> What commands can I execute and how do I do them (I am not particularly fond of
> remembering all of them)

For the command/insert mode thing, in vim, type Esc, then
:set showmode
or
:set nocompatible
The latter turns off vi compatibility mode and unless noshowmode is
explicitly set, should turn on showmode as well.

Put one or both (without the colon) into your ~/.vimrc file to have it
start up like that.

Colin