[plug] Linux education

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Oct 3 13:32:38 WST 2000

"Campbell, David (Ex AS17)" wrote:

> > Ever tried to shut down a box without init running ?
>
> Eh? *Warning Will Robinsion, Warning*
>
> >From memory init is process id=1, this is the core process
> that kicks the whole show off. Theoretically killing init is
> possible but doing so is an act of stupidity.

I have not found a way to do it manually, however, sometimes after
restoring the software-suspended state of the machine, I get a nice
message telling me init has segfaulted and will restart in 30 seconds..
this then repeats at 30 second intervals until I shutdown and restart
the machine.

This only happens on my laptop, and usually only after doing something
stupid, like suspending the machine while using the network card.

Software suspend is great, just make sure you stop using the sound card
on a desktop, or sound/pcmcia on a laptop, which means ejecting your net
card BEFORE suspending the machine.
If you follow these simple steps, it works a treat.

--
Brad....
                   /"\