[plug]

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Tue Oct 3 14:00:00 WST 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, tlee wrote:
> I am a newbie and have been suffering with Slackware, but not using Xfree I
> also found joe to be the easiest editor.
Good to hear, shame it doesn't seem to linewrap.
FORGET I SAID THAT. :)

> I thought that all of you would be using Staroffice editor
The Staroffice suite has a word processor, not a text editor. Far to big
an unwieldly and insufficiently WISIWIM for quickly editting a small ASCII
file with precision.

> which I assumed would be similar to ms office word
Exactly. :)

> Why all the talk about an editor?
Goes with the territory. Programmers and sysadmins spent a great deal of
their time editing smallish ASCII files with precision and in a hurry.
They come to care about editors. Unfortunately, some of them come to care
about the wrong editor, but I won't go into that. :)

Linux users have quite a tendency to be programmers and sysadmins (at
least compared to the average Windows type) for a number of reasons:
A) GNU/Linux allows you to administer your system.
B) GNU/Linux occassionally forces you to administer your system.
C) GNU/Linux allows you to program it a lot.
D) GNU/Linux is an environment in which you will enjoy programming a lot.
E) Linux users tend to be technically competent, and hence get forced to
   do sysadmin work by the incompetents around them.
F) Programmers and sysadmins are knowledgeable and experienced enough to
   make a wise choice of operating system. :)

I hope you are at least as much informed as you are disturbed by this. :)

-Greg Mildenhall