[plug] Does Telstra Set Speeds for there Exchanges?

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 11:36:50 WST 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Thomas, Andre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There used to be standard that Telstra would only guarantee an analog
> > phone line to the equivalent of some low datarate, but moderm modems
> > have made it so redundant its been ignored for years.  This
> > may be what
> > they mean - that anything above 4800 is a bonus, so if you cannot get
> > more, its not their fault.
> >
> > Can you give more info - what exchange and line type?, someone who is
> > actually using one of those exchanges may be on the list and can
> > comment.
>
> >From recent discussions with telstra, I believe that they can now
> guarantee 36k, and beyond that is bonus if you get it.  I think the guy
> I was talking was being optimistic though, and I am yet to see this
> figure in writing.

If you're connected to a RIM (a device to split wire pairs in areas which
have limited available cable in the stree), you'll be sharing the line
to the exchange with someone else in your street, and you'll be lucky
to get 28.8k.

So I _would_ like to see such a guarantee in writing - it sucks finding
out one day that Telstra split your line and 'gave' half of it to your
next door neighbour. They don't (need to) tell you and most people don't
know...

Gavin.