[plug] [why not staroffice]

Mike from West Australia erazmus at wantree.com.au
Thu Oct 5 13:53:54 WST 2000

At 01:24 PM 5/10/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 12:59:24PM +0800, Garry wrote:
>> I use C++ by choice, because I know it better than anything else. I haven't
>> done any Linux programming yet, but will get to it shortly.
>
>You use C++ "by choice" because you know it better than anything else?
>Isn't that sort of contradictory?  It's like "I catch the bus to work by
>choice because I don't have a car, it's too far to cycle and I can't
>afford a taxi."

I agree, though you said it better... <sigh>

>Either way, I find it hard to believe anyone would use C++ *by
>choice*...

I'd caution anyone to 'get started with C++' as a programming langauge,
its one of the worst structured langauges ever - other then Cobol
that is ;-)

Seriously, in my 20+years experience of observing programming/debug
rituals I can attest to C++ having wasted by far the most amount of
programming time ie. In that far more debugging is required with
C++ then any other language bar none...

To 'start' and teach programming and learn structure for neophytes,
one would consider Ada, Pascal etc

Yes I did put my flame suit on with SPF-500 too ;-)

Rgds

Mike