[plug] "Ghost" for Linux?

daniel at iinet.net.au daniel at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 5 16:19:51 WST 2000

I asked a similar question recently, so from this absolute newbie here
goes. (Verify my notes are correct before using)

You can use 'DD' for a physical image of an entire disk drive.  The
disadvantage is that it can only go back on a drive with the same
characteristics (eg same manufacturer, same model).  Caution is recommended
because if you direct it back on itself you can wipe your disk.  'Bzip2'
could be used to compress the file created and another later process to
split it into 600mb sections for CD writing.

eg:
dd if=/dev/hda|bzip2>/ mount hdc1/filename.img
( that is ... Use 'DD' with InputFile hda and pipe through bzip2 to the
mounted second hard drive)

... hope that's a start anyway.
Daniel.