[plug] "Ghost" for Linux?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 5 17:04:43 WST 2000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:29:58PM +0800, Thomas, Andre wrote:
> I've always had problems with the lilo when using ghost.
> -André

Not suprising - lilo simply records where the files it needs are
on disk, and saves them to the boot record. If anything changes (eg new
copies of the files, let alone partition shuffling) you need to run lilo
again, after perhaps booting from a floppy or CD.

An alternative is GRUB, which actually understands the filing system
layout. It's very funky, and I expect to use it more...

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal