[plug] linux school servers...

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 01:18:18 WST 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> > I would strongly suggest against giving any sort of IMAP access unless
> > there is a secure server out there for it. The main server is so buggy
> > you may as well give shell access. Where I work we use a webmail
> > package that lets students check their email from anywhere.
>
> What exactly is wrong with IMAP servers? If there are major security holes
> would it be feasible to limit access to IMAP by localhost and then write a
> Webmail script that interfaces with it? Would this be any more secure?
> Because PHP does have a nice IMAP interface library, I'd like to use that
> to write the webmail scripts.

I know I'm coming in mid-conversation here... but is it necessary to write
a webmail system yourself?

Here we use endimion mailman (http://www.endymion.com), it has a few
quirks (mainly to do with MIME) but they give the Perl source free to
educational institutions, so perhaps that might be a starting point, at
least.

Regards,
Gavin Rogers