[plug] [why not staroffice]

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 6 01:06:12 WST 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Garry wrote:

> There is one other reason I used C++.. The thing had to run on Win 98. I know,
> I know, I'm working on them!!

Dont be so defensive - C++ is great, its just some of the programmers that
aint so good. C++ gives you plenty of rope, but it has huge benefits over C.
 eg C programs have a horrible habit of leaking memory. In C++, all
dynamic memory is pointed to by class members, which are freed by the
class destructor. IF you do it properly. Ditto for resource release in
general.
  C++ is much more typesafe. Operator overloading is way cool,
especially if you want something like complex numbers, or extra precision.
OK, multiple inheritance can get a bit messy. So dont use it.
  Java's auto garbage-collection is for quiche-eaters and VB programmers.
And what have they done with enums? To get type-safe enums in Java you
need to embed it in a class. If I wanted everything to be a class, I'd use
smalltalk.
  Long live C++!!  (But hopefully not as long as C, which is already the
dinosaur that COBOL and Fortran were in the 80s.)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--